?

Log in

No account? Create an account
LiveJournal Development [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
LiveJournal Development

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

March 29th, 2002

LJ differences from CVS [Mar. 29th, 2002|12:29 am]
LiveJournal Development

lj_dev

[bradfitz]
Here's the current state of differences between CVS and LJ:
http://www.livejournal.com/misc/cvs-from-lj.diff.txt

I plan to get more of LJ running from CVS tomorrow.
Avva, can we turn on $LJ::UNICODE already?
(oh, we need utf8convert.bml to care about url and urlname)

Everybody else, play with Unicode stuff.
On your goathacks:
-- set $LJ::UNICODE = 0;
-- write tons of posts with ümlauts and ø things and write about Amélie and stuff
-- make all your editinfo.bml info have cräp like ßräd
-- turn UNICODE = 1;
-- restart everything
-- try to use site. remote any seen gibberish anywhere. (it should be hidden or turned to question marks)

Have fun. See y'all tomorrow.
link5 comments|post comment

Test My Modifications [Mar. 29th, 2002|02:28 am]
LiveJournal Development

lj_dev

[mart]

I've been meaning to do this for a very long time, but I was scared. My fear was not unwarranted, as the changes I've made to the dystopia BML scheme have taken the best part of three hours and have given me possibly the largest headache I've ever had (even if that can be attributed to this lame old 14" Microvitec monitor I'm stuck with while I'm at home)

My aims when improving the dystopia scheme were firstly to make the HTML less difficult to parse both for humans and browsers, and secondly to increase cross-browser uniformity among today's popular browsers.

This has inevitably made the Netscape 4 rendering a little weird, but I was quite proud of myself for reducing the Netscape 4 oddity to a mere spare space above the login box and some unbold links on the front page. I've tested it in Opera 6, Internet Explorer 6, Navigator 4 and Mozilla 0.9.9 on Windows, and was pleased to find I even fixed a few little Opera rendering quirks accidentally.

I don't have a Mac to test the other popular platform's browsers, however. Could someone take a look at my version and note anything weird in browsers I've not tested already? It's still mostly crap HTML so it should still render pretty much the same. My level of caring is such that I want it to look "right" on any browser which is the current version of itself, and I want it to be "bearable" or "readable" on older browsers, where "readable" gets more important than "bearable" as version age increases. I also consider browsers which don't know what a div is too old or dumb to care about, so don't bother shoving it into some ancient version of lynx or Mosaic and telling me that some of the stuff runs together.

Hopefully this will be a good first step to making LiveJournal's HTML output less sucky! The next task I have on my todo list is to redo the output of talkread so that it doesn't output quirky HTML.

MySQL isn't running on my goathack account to save RAM, so nothing which uses the database will work right.

link27 comments|post comment

Modify.bml merge [Mar. 29th, 2002|01:43 pm]
LiveJournal Development

lj_dev

[halkeye]
Sorry its taken so long, just been busy.
Anyways, I have updated/created my patch to merge and update the modify.bml code/pages

Includes:
Merging the files
Switching between commmunities user admins
making all the html lowercase
putting ' 's around all the values in html tags

Patch:
http://lj.halkeye.net/admin/diff/modify.bml.diff

Test:
http://lj.halkeye.net/modify.bml - Try test/test

http://lj.halkeye.net/login.bml - try test/test
then try
http://lj.halkeye.net/modify.bml - ability to switch between communities

Update: Patch has been updated, forgot a ljdep item
linkpost comment

navigation
[ viewing | March 29th, 2002 ]
[ go | Previous Day|Next Day ]