ASL is fucking worthless. This foreign tech support guy I talked to today said basically, "I test you system it is fine. You say there is problem with memory but memory is fine when I run test." Grrrrrrr.... he then asked me what memory test program I was using. I told him "SGI's memtest86 ...". He asked me how to SGI.. "F as in Frank?" No, goofus, "S" as in SGI. He asked for the URL to it. I said, "Ask Mike Reed... he's the one that told me about it. Or search Google... it's the first match returned." Mike Reed is a coworker of his... they don't even standardize within their company about what memory test program to use? "Google? That is British site?" !?!? No, goofus, it was a Stanford project, but that's irrelevant, go fix my fucking system. It's not even the memory that's the problem... any memory fails in it. *sigh*
I don't think we'll be seeing lj-stan for quite some time. Anybody feel like calling ASL and bitching and/or getting a status update? Their tech support number is 408-941-2069. RMA number is 0103-0601.
I think we need an LJ department to deal with this. New community, perhaps: dealing_with_stupid_people (dfsp ?).
Cartman's new 512 MB of memory (bring it up to 1GB) is due to arrive tomorrow, and I finally got ahold of a Dell salesperson, so two new 10,000 rpm 18 GB drives are on their way too. The current drives were only 7,200 rpm as it turns out (!). That sucks... can't believe I didn't notice that on the initial order.
Anyway, there's hope.
After that, we need to save up $21,000 for the Alpha. Alan, want to post the Alpha specs for everybody to drool over?
We need to decide the southpark character to name the Alpha after... jesus? pip? chef? Or do we name it cartman and change cartman's name?
The Great Brad has given me the wonderful opportunity to describe the brand-spankin' new Alpha server we have painstakenly planned out over the last week. Well, here it is:
Item 1: Dual Alpha 667MHz/21264 264DP with Linux
QTY: 1 Each
Number Smasher 264DP EV67 motherboard
featuring ONE Alpha 21264 667 MHz CPU (upgradable to 2 CPUs)
with 4MB Cache per CPU
6 PCI/1 ISA, 2 Serial/1 Parallel
2 GB of SDRAM (8 Each 256MB 200-pin DIMMs)
Full Size Server Tower (10 Bays)
600 WATT Power Supply
ITI6100U2-N Ultra2 SCSI Controller with Ext LVD Cable (RAID)
Integrated Adaptec Ultra SCSI Controller with LVD Cable
2 Each - 10/100 PCI Ethernet RJ45 with 10^Ò cable
8MB PCI Video
48X IDE CDROM Drive
3.5^Ô Floppy Drive, PS/2 Keyboard, 3-button Mouse
Red Hat Linux Deluxe (CD) v6.2 (Large file support needed) (Installed)
(No hard drive in server. System to boot from RAID array)
Item 1 System Price: $10,395
Option 2: 216GB External RAID 10 ARRAY (7U Rackmount)
QTY: 1 Each
C4E-U160-4 RAID Cobra 4 Enterprise^Ù, 10HH, SCSI-SCSI array
- (1) 4 channel, 64-bit controllers with 128MB of RAM & BBU ea;
- (1) 10HH bay enclosure with dual, 400W hot-swappable
redundant power supplies and fans.
- (1) Controller module with dual hot/swap 450W power & fans.
- (6) 36 GB Ultra/160 SCSI 10000 RPM Hot swappable
- On-line expansion & level change module included
- GUI for HA, management, configuration, and advanced (local/remote)
monitoring of controllers, discs, power supplies, fans, &
- RAID Arrays are S.M.A.R.T. capable. Advanced disc failure detection
- Performance up to 160MBPS per channel.
Option 2 RAID Array Price: $11,910
Mmm, get to the droolin' ;) I bolded randomly, for emphasis. I should probably go back and do other funny things to it, but someone'd get pissed.
We can continue to lob on 3U rackmount drive bays onto the external RAID controller system, and kick up the max to something awfully obscene. Also hook up two servers to one array if we would wish to. We'll start with 108G of RAID 10 space.
If anyone wants more specific information, I can hook you up with links to mobo or chip information.
Cartman was being a fat bastard, so brad and I kicked it around a bit.
Things were slowing, and brad had recently started shuffling tables across the two pairs of drives inside cartman... but it wasn't enough. Tonight, I grabed the wonderful sysstat set of tools for linux and started running iostat, while watching mytop.pl in another window. Directing Brad as to which drive is getting the most reads/writes/s.
So, we finally landed on a good balance. SDA is getting slightly less reads, but slightly more writes, and SDB is getting slightly more reads, and slightly less writes :)
Now, all of a sudden, I CAN GET TO MY FRIENDS PAGE AGAIN!
Celebrate! Just not so hard, cartman's still not doing so well ;)